Monday, November 12, 2012

I'm so OOOOOLLLDDD!!!!

Another birthday, another year closer to being OOOOLLLLDDD.

I do have to say that it's odd being 26, now, and having a mother who is "30." And, like my mom did before her "30th" birthday, I decided to do a list of things to do before my next big birthday, my "30 before I'm 30" list.

(it should be noted here that I hate balloons and all birthday wishes should be kept balloon free)
And here it is! 30 things that I want to do before I'm 30:

1. Graduate from the Portland State School Counseling graduate program
2. Sell a piece of my artwork
3. Go on a trip with my sister
4. Read the unabridged version of "Les Miserables"
5. Move out of my parents' house
6. Decorate a room the way that I really want to
7. Make something for my future home
8. Shoot a gun (that one actually scares me...)
9. Get a "real" job
10. Learn a new skill
11. Paint a piece of furniture
12. Have a theme party (perhaps "Nightmare Before Christmas"?)
13. Make and send holiday cards
14. Organize a recipe binder of things I can cook well
15. Take sister photos
16. Get a family portrait
17. Cosplay
18. Watch "Gone With the Wind" in one sitting
19. Practice my language skills (Spanish? Korean?)
20. Put fun color in my hair
21. Create a filing system for important documents
22. Take a fun class
23. Learn to sing Korean karaoke
24. Bake GOOD cookies (all by myself!!)
25. Write a letter to my future self
26. Go back to Korea (hopefully with a job there, but I'll settle for a vacation)
27. Tour Portland Shanghai Tunnels
28. Go to New York
29. Buy a car
30. Learn a new song on the piano

In several of my classes, we've talked about the importance of effort leading to success: teaching students that effort leads to success helps them take control of their life and see that success is not an innately born trait of the academically smart. Rather, success can often be the result of a choice to work hard, put in the time and effort needed to reach a goal. Part of this would be getting students to set their own goals and work towards them. This is something I also want to model for my students: continually setting goals and working towards attaining them.


Some of the things are life milestones (moving out), others more fun and silly (learning to sing Korean Karaoke), but all of the things on this list are things that I want to be able to accomplish before I turn 30 years old. Making and attaining goals is something I hope to continue to do throughout my entire life.

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying home (and the shopping haul!)

 Sunday we woke up bright and early (10:00) to get breakfast at 10:30 and then checked out. Even with getting up so late, I was NOT chipper....