Friday, October 18, 2013

13 Days of Halloween Music

Happy Halloween, everyone!!

So, those of you who know me at all know that I have two holidays that I get ridiculously excited about: Halloween and Christmas. I like them both for different reasons so I have a really hard time deciding which one I like best. Luckily, they don't come at the same time so I get to celebrate both and enjoy each of their unique festivities.

With Halloween right around the corner (13 days!!), I've been getting into the mood by watching some of my favorite Halloween movies, playing around with makeup for my costume, and making antlers out of paper clay and tin foil. I might not have anywhere to go on Halloween, but I sure as heck am going to look cool for all the trick-or-treaters that come to our door!

One of my favorite things about holidays is the music. Granted, I listen to "Halloween songs" all year round, there are a few that really make me think of Halloween, all for different reasons.

So here is my top 13 Halloween Songs, in no specific order.

#1. Thriller by Michael Jackson (and Vincent Price)

So, I know I said that I wasn't putting them in any particular order, but this is definitely number one. Why? Two of my favorite people - Michael Jackson AND Vincent Price - in ONE SONG. WITH DANCING ZOMBIES. How can it be better?

I didn't post the full music video movie (which is SO COOL), but just the song so you aren't watching for 15 minutes... just 6.



#2. Silly Symphony: The Skeleton Dance by Disney
I love Disney and this is one of my favorite Silly Symphonies! I remember seeing this as a kid and thinking it was dreadfully spooky.



#3 Ghost Chickens in the Sky by Moosebutter

My little sister used to be absolutely obsessed with the song "Ghost Riders in the Sky" so when I saw this song, I immediately thought of her. My favorite version of this song is the one done by Moosebutter. This particular video is kind of really dumb, but it's the version of the song I like best.



#4. Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show
I remember in college, my roommate Gena and I would watch clips from Rocky Horror Picture Show and this was one of our favorites.


#5. This is Halloween from Nightmare Before Christmas
This is one of my all time favorite movies. I love that I can watch it at both Halloween AND Christmas time!



#6 Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.

What Halloween would be complete without the Ghostbusters theme song? Does anyone else remember the awesome cartoon?! Loved it.



#7. Monster Mash by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Cryptkickers
Do I really need to explain this one?



#8. Grim Grinning Ghosts Come Out to Socialize from Haunted Mansion
My absolute favorite ride (practically a tie with "It's a Small World") at Disneyland is the Haunted Mansion. I especially love it when they decorate it Nightmare Before Christmas.



#9. The Addam's Family Theme song
I learned to snap my fingers because of this song. I got tired of not being able to snap along so I practiced until I could. I was so proud of myself.



#10. Sally's Song by Amy Lee
Again, a song from Nightmare Before Christmas, I know. But I LOVE this version of the song! It is so creepy sounding and beautiful.



#11. Sweet Dreams by Emily Browning from Sucker Punch
The style of this song is very similar to the last song: slow, creepy, and gorgeous. I remember going to see this movie when I was in Korea. It wasn't at all what I thought it was going to be (and I go back and forth on my feelings about it from a Feminist standpoint), but one thing I knew was that I needed the soundtrack. This is absolutely one of my favorites.



#12. I am a Vampire by Antsy Pants from Juno
This one is just too silly. Plus I love Juno.



#13. I Put a Spell on You from Hocus Pocus
One of the best Halloween movies out there. I really wish that they did a full version of this song and I totally agree with this about making Hocus Pocus into a Broadway Musical. Please? Just... holy crap, PLEASE!!!



 There are so many good ones!! What are some of your favorites?


1 comment:

  1. jen, i love these! thanks for the suggestions! here are some that i like that aren't specifically for halloween, but fit in pretty well. :-)

    florence and the machine - i'm not calling you a liar
    florence and the machine - howl
    florence and the machine - my boy builds coffins
    ingrid michaelson - ghost
    the national - anyone's ghost
    winnie the pooh - heffalumps and woozles
    evanescence - bring me to life
    evanescence - haunted
    big bad voodoo daddy - cruel spell

    ReplyDelete

Flying home (and the shopping haul!)

 Sunday we woke up bright and early (10:00) to get breakfast at 10:30 and then checked out. Even with getting up so late, I was NOT chipper....