Friday, August 3, 2012

Back and Blogging!

Welcome!! My name is Jennifer and this is my brand spanking new blog. If you've known me for a while, you've probably seen my old blog from high school and college or my blog from teaching English in South Korea. I've been back from Korea now for almost a year and a lot has happened since then.

For one, I got into graduate school! Starting at the end of September this year, I will be starting up full time at Portland State in the School Counseling program. I am really excited and a little nervous (for various reasons). 

I've also got a part time job working for a local franchise of Dream Dinners. It's not super fancy, but everyone there is really nice and I get to do a little bit of design work for the owner so that's always fun.

I'm living with my parents to save on grad school costs. This is both a good and bad thing, through no real fault of my parents. Just, you know... being 25 and living with your parents can be a little stressful. Most of the time we're good, though. 

Currently, I am having a really awesome week hanging out with my baby sister while our parents are in Arizona.. This super awesome fun time week follows a pretty sucky week where I hit a deer (car, deer, and me are okay) and a parked car (their car is not so much okay). I then ate myself into a mild tummy ache at a pizza arcade place before going to work with a crappy attitude and a fake smile. So, this week is most appreciated.

One thing you need to understand is that my baby sister, Jesi, aka Chicky, is my best friend. There are seven and a half years separating us, but we are still super close.

 

She just graduated high school and is leaving for college in less than three weeks! We've spent this week doing very little that is productive, but lots of fun has been had.


I took Jesi downtown to Powell's City of Books, a giant new and used bookstore. We spent about two hours roaming around before deciding we'd spent enough money this week (did I mention we went to Old Navy as well this week?)


Much of the rest of our time was spent playing with the sewing machine. Jesi made me an awesome, beautiful pillow with a favorite quote from Doctor Who: "Bowties are Cool." I made her a pillow to match the quilt for her new apartment that has her nickname on it: "Chicky."



Jesi still hasn't quite gotten a handle on how to work her quilt through the sewing machine to finish off the edges. We might have to take it over to LaFawn and beg her to let us use her stronger machine to punch through the thick edges.


We made a few other things as well this week. Jesi made a couple of adorable stuffed animals and I
hemmed some pants and made a few lace underskirts to add length to some of my shorter dresses.


At some point we are supposed to clean the house. We have plans to get this done, so hopefully the house will look 100% better by the time parents get back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying home (and the shopping haul!)

 Sunday we woke up bright and early (10:00) to get breakfast at 10:30 and then checked out. Even with getting up so late, I was NOT chipper....