Saturday, May 17, 2014

A long awaited update

Hello friends and family! It's been a while since I updated my blog. Apologies! It's been a bit busy around here (go figure). Last you heard, I was making macarons and heading off to California to visit my grandparents. I spent a fun weekend with my Grandma and Grandpa Olson and some time as well with some cousins, aunt, and uncle, and playing in San Francisco at the Disney Family Museum.

While I was there, I helped fix up the concrete ducks that sit outside my grandparents' front door. They got a lovely manicure and some eyelashes. They look very fancy now.



I was, of course, under strict instructions from my dad to cause some mayhem while I was there. I'm not very talented in that area, so I just turned some photos on their sides and stuck the Pillsbury dough boy in the freezer.

 

While I was in California, we got a new house guest! Meet Anja from Norway! She was having some trouble at her last host family's house and so we offered to let her stay with us until she heads home in June. Her friend Ice from Thailand may be staying with us for the next couple of weeks, as well. 


Soon after she joined us, Anja went to Hawaii and we got a snow storm. I got stuck in the blue car at the bottom of the hill and had to wait over an hour until Dad made it over to pick me up. We got the blue car up the hill later the next week. We had to stop a few times to fix the chains, but we made it eventually!


Grandpa started on chemo treatment while I was visiting and lost the last of his hair with it. Dad shaved his head to support his padre and they made a fine looking pair.


Jesi got home at the end of April and we have had some fun times with her back. She just started working at the theater in town, though they have only had her work a few days a week late at night, so it's not too fun, but a job is a job and she says it's not too bad. Plus, when she works as usher cleaning the theaters between shows, she gets to keep any unopened candy she finds (or old popcorn, I've been told). Kind of an odd perk, but you take what you can get!


We, of course, had a wonderful Mother's Day. I got Mom breakfast in bed, we found her a lovely, new tote for her cruises this summer, made a tasty salmon dinner, and made some pretty hand-drawn cards from her favorite daughters. This one's from me.


Now, life is just school, work, school, work. The usual. This April I started my practicum which has been very exciting. I work in the counseling clinic Mondays on campus. I have slots for three clients, though right now I only have two of the slots filled. It's tough, and not exactly the kind of work I'll be doing as a school counselor, but it is a really great experience working with clients. Both my peer and faculty supervisors are fabulous and I have, so far, been doing a pretty good job. 

I am in the process of applying for my internships for next year. We are supposed to have two internships: one 400 hour and one 200 hour. One of them is supposed to be at the secondary level (middle or high school) and the other in elementary, depending on our preference and what is available. We got notice of a paid internship (those usually aren't available) out at Estacada Charter School. It's an online based school that also works with local community colleges so students can get high school and college credit at the same time. From what they've said, it sounds like a lot of the students are 5th, 6th, and 7th year seniors who have had a tough time of things in the general education system. I have an online interview with them this Tuesday and I am really excited to work with them if I get the chance. Crossing fingers the interview goes well on Tuesday!

Well, I suppose I should stop procrastinating and get to writing my intergenerational trauma paper. Or maybe play on Facebook. That sounds like more fun, honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flying home (and the shopping haul!)

 Sunday we woke up bright and early (10:00) to get breakfast at 10:30 and then checked out. Even with getting up so late, I was NOT chipper....