Saturday, July 28, 2018

An ENGAGING story (get it?!)

It's official! We're engaged! Rings and everything!

Mandy called dibs on proposing (things you have to think about in girlxgirl relationships; there's no set standard for who proposes!) and so while we started plans for a wedding we knew was going to happen - picking rings, finding a venue and photographer - I waited for Mandy to propose. I kind of knew it would happen on our anniversary. She wasn't subtle about our plans for our anniversary being a surprise and "wait until July." Plus she's a romantic cheeseball so our anniversary makes sense.

The day started off with flowers from both of us to the other. Aaaawwww!


We headed downtown and parked near the waterfront then waited by the fountain at Waterfront Park before boarding the Portland Spirit River Cruise.

Stepped up in front of the photographer to take the souvenier photo and Mandy got down on her knee.


Nobody cried. Definitely not. That would be silly.

Then we sat down at our table and she put the ring on me and said really, really sweet things. Then we cried. And then I got out my own box for her.

Mandy loves the movie "Up" and Michael Giacchino (its composer) is one of her favorites. So I painted a box to look like the adventure book from the movie.


 Then there was some more crying. Because we're matching wrecks who cry.

After crying, we ate a lovely dinner. The waiters sang a song before food service and there was a pianist that played. Very cool!





After tasty food, we headed to the upper deck. It had been a little warm when we were waiting to board, but with the sun setting and a nice breeze from the moving boat, it was perfect. The view was awesome and we loved looking at the houses on the shore, the people having picnics on the little islands in the middle of the river, and watching the other passengers.



Speaking of people watching, as we were sitting, there was a big group of people trying to take group pictures and kept having to leave someone out of it. After we watched them struggle for a bit, I got up and asked if they wanted me to take a picture of them all together. I took the guys phone and as he gestured to what button to press, I noticed some Hangul (Korean script) in the corner. So I asked him if he was Korean ("Hangugsaram?"). He was very excited and then the whole group was really excited when I counted to three in Korean and they demanded to know how I knew Korean (you know... the 5 or so words I remember). Then they had to take pictures with us because why not?

After that exciting interlude, we got to go back to being all cuddly and romantic, watching the scenery pass by.










It's such a pretty cruise. I've never seen the city from that view before. I just kept thinking about how lucky I am to live in such a great city and to be in love with such a wonderful woman (who loves me back!? and wants to spend the rest of her life with me!?). To be honest, I spent a long time thinking I wouldn't ever be in this position. But here I am! An amazing lady by my side, willing to put up with me, and loving and supporting me. My friend told me in mock disgust once how lucky I've been in my life and she is totally right. I'm so blessed to have met Mandy and to have been welcomed into her life.


I have to admit, I was a little worried. Like I said, Mandy is a bit of a romantic cheeseball. A romantic cheeseball with access to bands, choirs, and other musical peoples. I was a tad worried there would be serenading and I would love her for being her but feel awkward as heck. The song "What do you do with your arms?" comes to mind. But my amazing lady knows me and how much her stopping the Pride parade in front of me and proposing while backed up by the Gay Freedom Band (that she directs) would be not ideal for me.

The night ended with a beautiful full moon - that refused to photograph well - but we tried. Feeling pretty special right now and excited for this next life adventure. <3


1 comment:

  1. So beautiful and special! Congratulations on the start of the next chapter of your story.

    ReplyDelete

Flying home (and the shopping haul!)

 Sunday we woke up bright and early (10:00) to get breakfast at 10:30 and then checked out. Even with getting up so late, I was NOT chipper....